It’s the time of year where everyone vows to make positive changes in their lives. From losing a few pounds, to going to the gym and working out and eating right, New Year’s is the perfect time for positive change – but what about your pets? How about considering a few positive changes that will benefit them? A couple of ideas for great starts for 2019 are:
- Measure out the exact amount of food that you should be feeding your pet for each meal for their target weight so that you’re not overfeeding or underfeeding your pet. While you’re at it, make sure you’re feeding your pet the appropriate food for their age, activity and metabolic needs.
- Update the information on your pet’s ID tag on their collar or microchip to make sure the proper address and telephone number are associated with them.
- Take your dog for a walk every day – or even every other day. This is win/win for both you and your dog, you’ll get some exercise, and maybe even meet a new neighbor or friend.
- Try a new activity with your pet. Teach them a new trick, or go to an agility or obedience class.
- Make a commitment to your pet’s dental health. 4 out of 5 animals have horrible teeth.
- Become a blood donor. There is such a high need for pet blood, and IndyVet has a wonderful program, but we need more donors! There are some great benefits for the donor animals as well, click here to learn how your pet can become a blood donor hero!
Whatever your resolutions this year, don’t forget your pet, there are many things you can do to enrich their lives, we hope this list gives you some great ideas for a wonderful 2019!