Requirements for IndyVet's Feline Blood Donor Program:
Feline blood donors must meet stringent requirements:
- Be between 1 – 6 years of age;
- Cat must be neutered or spayed;
- Must be 8.5 pounds or greater;
- Have never received a blood transfusion;
- In good general health and current on all vaccinations (proof is required);
- Pass comprehensive blood screening, blood typing, and infectious disease screening.
All potential donors must fill out a Donor Pre-Registration Form before coming in for their consultation
Every 5th donation, your pet hero will receive:
- A $100 Visa gift card – You can use this for personal needs or toward your pet’s wellness care. Don’t forget your vaccine costs and preventatives! The card expires one year after activation.
- A $50 credit on your IndyVet account that can be used for
- If you do not have the $50 credit on your account at the time of your pet’s annual bloodwork requirement, you can now pay $50 to have it run through IndyVet during your pet’s visit for donation, which is a deeply discounted price given to the blood bank for this blood panel.
Could Your Cat Be The Next Hero?
The IndyVet Feline Blood Donation Center provides feline blood for use at veterinary practices throughout Indiana and across the United States. Cat blood is used by IndyVet and other veterinary hospitals for transfusions during emergency treatments, major surgeries and anemia involving feline patients.
IndyVet’s feline Blood Donation Center collects, separates, and stores blood. Each unit of whole blood is broken down into packed red blood cells and plasma. Nothing is wasted and each unit can save 2-4 cats. Feline packed red blood cells have a shelf life of 42 days, while feline plasma can be stored for five years.
Having fresh prepared feline blood product allows IndyVet to treat many life threatening emergencies immediately. Having fresh blood products allows IndyVet to provide superior services internally as well as providing feline blood products to hundreds of veterinary practices across the United States.